Wednesday, September 22, 2010

My latest piece of writing (still in progress) accepting comments and suggestions UPDATE

I kick down the door of yet another abandoned house. Looking around I notice that the previous owner must have already taken most of the essential supplies. However digging through the cabinets I am luck enough to find a few small canned goods. My next meal. After scavenging a few various odds and ends I make a small fire to heat some of the cans. I slowly eat the cans of peas and peaches and saver each and every spoon full. With the fire out and my stomach as full as I was able to get it at the moment, I washed down my meal with some of the little water I had, blocked the door as best I could and quickly fell into deep but short sleep.

I was awakened by a ray of sunlight shining right into my eye through a hole in the ceiling. I slung my bag over my shoulder and picked my assault rifle, my only protection against the groups of raiders that roamed the lands. It had been modified that I wasn’t sure what the original model even looked like. After a few hours of walking and so far no encounters with any raiders I came upon a river. Surely irradiated and contaminated with who knows what. Then again so was most of the water that anyone could find. I was running low on water but I decided not to take any chances and walked on by. Slowly I was starting to regret not filling any of my bottles because I had finished off the last of my water and was starting to get very thirsty walking with the sun beating down on me. However I soon came to a small settlement who were happy to fill my bottles with the closest thing to purified water anyone could find in exchange for the usual bits and bobs I traded them. I was also able to find an old merchant sitting under a tarp who had a few rounds for my rifle. On my way out of the place I was also lucky enough to find a few giant rats wandering around in the wastelands. They aren't even enough of a threat for me to waste any of my bullets on so I clubbed a few to death. Giant rat meat isn't that bad when you haven't eaten in a day, although, it's even better cooked.

Nightfall came quickly and I desperately needed sleep. I found a cave that could be sufficient for my needs. Unfortunately, I was not the only one who thought so. Raiders. There was no bargaining with Raiders. No negotiating. They traveled in small groups usually of about 3 or 4. These were what you had to worry about in the wastelands. The real threat. I find it hard to believe they're even of the same species. Every last on of them is a cold hearted killer. They'll kill you without a second thought. Fortunately, I had the element of surprise. They hadn't noticed me entering. Quickly I tried to find the most efficient way of taking them all out. Explosives would work nicely here. From my bag I quietly removed a few hand made explosives. I never bought explosives from anyone. At times I also was even suspicious of the ammunition I purchased. As quietly as I could, I pulled my bandanna over my nose and mouth and lit the fuse with an old beat-up lighter. Just before the flame entered the inside of the rusty metal tube, I chucked it into where I believed to be the center of the room. Just in case I held my rifle at the ready. There was a loud bang, even worse because we were in a cave, and the air was thick with dust. When the dust had cleared my ears had stopped ringing and I pulled the cloth back down around my neck. Slowly I came out from behind the rock looking down the sights of my rifle and surveyed the room. Empty. I laid down against the cold, hard cave wall and fell asleep. I'd gone way too long without sleeping to even think about security.

5 comments:

  1. Gruesome scenes. You've caught the empty and dangerous mood of a post-apocalyptic world. I'm interested in reading more -- please keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very good. You just need to expand on the raiders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashton Mrs. Reagles, let me explain Harrison's story, he completely stole the idea of a really cool game, but still you did an awesome job writing it, and maybe you could add a bit more detail to the story

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. I did get some of the ideas from Fallout 3 but I am sure that I am not the only one that has written a story based on a video game.
    2. In the title of the piece it says "still in progress" so I am adding more detail to the story.

    ReplyDelete